Deleting temp files in Windows 10. Also computer slower with Windows 10.

I have a couple of questions.

1) Why does it take FOREVER for me to get my temporary files deleted in Windows 10? This was never a problem in Windows 7. I told the system to delete the temp files yesterday, and they are still there. It keeps saying, "We are deleting your temporary files, etc." but it isn't doing anything. I told it to delete the old version of Windows, which took up a whole lot more disk space than the temp files, and it did it relatively quickly. Of course, those older version files are all back on there today. Screwy!!

2) Why is my computer slower with Windows 10? Is it really THAT large of a program? I have had my laptop for about 3 years, and it has never been slow at all. It has an i5 Intel processor and a very large hard drive which says it is nowhere near full.

Don't even get me started on Cortana, which worked for a little while and now just sits there with a message saying, "Ask me anything." I had it relearn my voice, but it has been useless so far. By the way, I live in the U.S., and it is supposed to be available here.

Answer
Answer

Hello Yves,

We understand that you would like to delete your Temp files from Windows 10 system:

I suggest you to follow the steps provided below to delete the temp files in Windows 10.

a. Press Windows + R key, 
    b. Type temp and press Enter key. Now, you shall see the window containing temp files.
    c. Select all and delete.
    d. Press Windows + R key, 
    e. Type %temp% and press Enter key. Now, you shall see the window containing temp files.
    f. Select all and delete.
    g. Press Windows + R key, 
    h. Type Prefetch and press Enter key. Now, you shall see the window containing temp files.
    I. Select all and delete.

Hope this information is helpful. For any further information, feel free to contact us.

Thank you.

508 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer

OK, after much searching, I found something that restored almost all of my drive C SSD space:

If updates are crowding your main drive, you can go to C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download\ and delete everything in that folder unless you are currently installing updates.  This folder contains all the temp files used OS updates, and after the updates are installed they just sit there.  I just regained over 5GB of space on my 32GB SSD.

I don't know if Windows 10 will just automatically delete them after a while, but for those of us with very limited space we can't afford to wait until Windows feels like cleaning itself up.

I found this information on a Win10 peer support forum that had nothing to do with either Microsoft or their copy/paste technical support.  Go figure.  Waiting for a patch that will actually make Delete temporary files work...

I hope this helps those of you pulling your hair out over this like I was..

222 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated April 25, 2024 Views 81,843 Applies to: